- Criminal Justice Institute at Valencia College Recruit
- Criminal Justice Academy of Osceola Recruit
- Kenneth C. Thompson Institute of Public Safety at Polk State College
- Oviedo High School NJROTC Senior with at least 2 years enrollment
- Academy or College Acceptance Letter
- Essay – The typewritten essay must be between 500-750 words and list examples of how you demonstrate integrity and service to the community
- Transcripts (min. 2.5 grade point average)
- Two character reference letters (non family)
Please scan and email all documents to info@MichaelCallin.org
Michael graduated from Oviedo High School in 1998. Michael was involved in the NJROTC program where he served as Chaplain and was part of the Marksmanship and Color Guard teams. NJROTC was important in helping to develop Michael’s core values of leadership, team work and service to the community.
Michael had a gift for mechanics and often times used his talents and abilities to help those who could not afford to take their vehicles to a mechanic. He was always thinking of other people and was willing to sacrifice his time and finances to help those in need. When he was a senior in high school, Michael was credited for helping to save the life of a man who had been run over by a vehicle and was trapped underneath it. Michael, along with some other bystanders, lifted the car off the man.
Michael served the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for 3 years in the Communications Division, then attended the Criminal Justice Institute at Valencia College and became a Deputy Sheriff where he served his community for 4 years. On August 2, 2006, while in the performance of his duties, Michael made the ultimate sacrifice when he was intentionally killed by a fleeing felon.
Michael is remembered for his attitude of loving, caring and giving. Even though Michael is no longer physically here, his spirit lives on through each of us when we serve one another unselfishly.
$1000.00 scholarships will be awarded to the recipients chosen by the Michael Callin Memorial Scholarship Fund Board of Directors and Advisors based on the listed qualifications and essays submitted.